Friday, January 23, 2009

R.I.P. VHS

I read a newspaper article a few weeks ago, that the last supplier of VHS is shutting his doors. No more VHS. Whatever is left at stores is it, people. Why, I ask is VHS dead? I understand it doesn't age that well, supposedly, and DVD's have a better quality.
My son sits in the other room watching He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, made in 1983. It's a VHS. It's as old as my little sister. The quality seems just fine, for the time it was made. It was a hand me down, from a hand me down, from a hand me down.
Here are the reasons I love VHS:
1)It's virtually kid-proof! They throw them, bang them and can put them in the VCR themselves. My kids aren't allowed to handle DVD's because of too many scratched movies or broken disks.
2) They are so cheap! You can buy your kids a whole library of Disney movies for about $1.99 a movie at Goodwill. That's economical.
3) Many of my old home movies are VHS. The ones from my childhood are classics. We used to make our own Saturday Night Live-style show in high school at sleepovers and those are hilarious! I made a few high school and college projects with camcorders, and help from the techie editing guys.
4) They last longer than people think. (see reference to 1983 movie above). AND if you accidently pull the tape out, just wind it back up. If you scratch a DVD, you can't really undo that.

I admit it. I am a closet VHS lover! They rock!

1 comment:

Angie said...

So true!!! I totally agree! You are awesome Theresa...good luck with the marathon and being a single mom...sounds like you will do fine! You are a strong woman. Wish we lived closer.
Angie Walter