Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Subject of Gossip

Just got back from Chicago. I drove the whole way with all three kids by myself. It wasn't that bad at all, I have great kids and they are wonderful travelers. Last night we got to Madison, then stopped over for some sleep, to wake up early and get right on the road.

Had to stop by noon to eat and re-energize. Instead of the usual fast-food pit stop, I decided to take the fam to Perkins. Decent food, hot meal, we got to sit down and talk. So...

A large party is sat near us and I was listening a little bit to their conversations. Just by innocent proximity, not from trying to listen in. Something about selling the Nintendo DS, so-and-so getting married. Then I overheard something that could only be about ME.

The grandmother (or so I assume) said, "well I don't see a wedding ring... but some people don't wear...so maybe...."

I guess I provoke speculation. What am I doing traveling with three small children by myself? Is she alone? Is she married? Why is she alone? I am sure I invoke all kinds of questions. Not malicious, or probing, just human curiosity. And I don't blame them. I look young - a young mother alone.

1 comment:

The Morris Family said...

A FABULOUS young mother...not alone...with three gorgeous kiddos!